Principal/Senior Staff Backend Engineer - Remote Within In The US or In Office (PA, UT, CA)
Nav is democratizing small business financing. In other words, we give small business owners access and control. Yes, this challenges the norm, but it means working with curious, purpose driven, dedicated, and inquisitively smart people who push themselves, our company and the community to the next level (and every level after that). We are the people behind the tech. And when it’s good, we look for better. We don’t over think the value we bring nor spend time trying to revamp mantras. We also do not come up with some crafty way to tell you who we are and what we offer. We are Nav! Here, you’ll gain a wealth of experience, learn the tricks of the trade, and work with winners. All companies say people are connected to their mission but in our case our mission and our people are one – it is a way of being not just a cause you are committed to. And since 2013, Nav has holistically and organically developed its own ideology because Nav can only be Nav.
This position will be working on Central or Eastern Time.
WHAT WE EMPOWER YOU WITH
- Building and maintaining backend services written in Go. Migrating functionality from legacy monoliths to event-driven microservices (Linux environment).
- Optimizing Nav’s customer journey experience, from first contact, through sign-up, and leveraging our financial solutions (credit cards, loans, premium account).
- Building the framework that Nav’s disruptive solutions (tradelines, alerts, financing marketplace) plug into.
- Turning business requirements into technical solutions. Turning technical solutions into business drivers.
- Helping to establish and iterate best practices within Nav's growing Engineering organization.
- Driving our data vision by working across multiple teams to ensure the right data is in the right place at the right time.
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- A track record of successfully delivering maintainable and scalable backend systems in containerized environments.
- Experience developing and deploying services/products in B2B and or B2B2C environments.
- Expert working/deployment knowledge with languages such as Go is strongly preferred. Experience with Python, Ruby, Elixir, or Node.js are considered bonus points!
- Experience working with Postgres or other SQL databases.
- Experience working in microservices and event-driven architectures.
- Experience breaking down and estimating work to provide iterative and continuous value to customers.
- Experience architecting and implementing solutions across multiple teams.
- Experience coaching and mentoring other engineers.
- A self starter who has the ability to work both independently and as a team player, who takes ownership and accountability of their work.
- Clear communication especially through the framework of stand-ups, team meetings, and ongoing project communication.
WHO YOU ARE
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias towards user-centric innovation.
- You are comfortable operating on both strategic and tactical levels, simultaneously acting as an internal ambassador, educator, analyst, solutions architect, and implementer.
- You are constantly researching and assessing companies’ best practices through networking and strategic partnerships.
- You have an affinity for a hyper-growth business.
- You are flexible and respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; ability to work under tight deadlines and plan, organize and carry out multiple, detailed tasks.
- You are an influencer with strong business and financial acumen - you find the intersections between technical operations & company strategy.
- You have excellent analytical, decision making and complex problem-solving skills.
INCLUSION AT NAV
At Nav, we celebrate what makes our employees unique because the businesses we serve are progressively diverse and distinctly original. Navericks are diverse, side hustlers, immigrants, veterans, queer, and we push generational boundaries. We are college dropouts, PhDs, special needs parents, allies, pet owners and community leaders. Navericks are human. We are committed to upholding a safe, supportive environment where everyone matters. We are committed to making a better future for all of us. We have created a workplace where people of all backgrounds can express their identities authentically. To put it simply we want you to be proud to be you.
OUR COMPENSATION PHILOSOPHY IS SIMPLE BUT POWERFUL
We believe great, enduring relationships are grounded in trust and transparency. Compensation shouldn’t be a distraction, and employees should understand how pay and career advancement decisions are made. Providing equal pay for equal work is table stakes for being a great place to work. Gender and ethnic inequity should only be something that our children read about in history books. We believe providing Navsters with company ownership, competitive pay, and a range of meaningful benefits is the start of creating a culture where people want to give the best they’ve got — not because they’re simply making money, but because they’ve fallen in love with our vision, mission, values, and team.
OUR IMPACT ON YOU
Competitive Pay. Company Ownership. Unlimited Vacation. 401k and HSA Company Match. Benefits Day One. 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave. Work From Anywhere (yes we were distributed before it was cool). Flexible Work Arrangements. Free Telehealth and Telemental Health For All Employees. Employee Networking and Events. Community Network Groups (women’s, PRIDE, culture). Meaningful Perks and Rewards. Learning and Development Opportunities. Pet Insurance.
A NAVERICK’S DNA
- We look at the future and say “why not”; we see possibilities where others see problems or routines. We show the way ahead and are committed to achieving ambitious goals.
- We practice straight talk and listen generously to each other with empathy. We value different opinions and point of views. We ensure that we connect outside as well as inside to learn from others and inspire each other.
- We hold ourselves accountable for delivering results. We choose to not to be a victim of circumstance. We make decisions & take responsibility so that we can act & support each other, rather than adopting defensive, and “finger pointing” behaviors.
- As leaders we motivate & engage our teams to undertake beyond what they originally thought possible, by developing our teams & creating the conditions for people to grow and empower themselves through enabling & coaching.